Thanks for your interest in my website, classes, and novels. This page explains the what, how, and why of the information we collect when you visit my website or signup to a mailing list. It also explains the specific ways we use and disclose that information. We never sell lists or email addresses.
We’ll start by getting a few definitions out of the way that should help you understand this policy. When we say “we,” “us,” and “Am Writing Fantasy,” we’re referring to Autumn M. Birt Raven and her husband Adam Raven. When we say “you” or “Member,” we’re referring to the person or entity that’s registered with us to use the Services.
We provide online content that you may access as part of a course, free ebooks, and blog posts (the “Services”). We offer the Services on our websites https://www.AmWritingFantasy.com and https://UltimateFantasyWritersGuide.com. In the course of providing the Services, we may collect Personal Information, which means information about a Member.
3. Effective Date
If you have any questions or comments, or if you want to update, delete, or change any Personal Information you’ve submitted on the Website, please use our contact form to get in touch.
5. Information We Collect
- List and Email Information: When you add your email to a sign-up list to receive a free book, we have access to the data.
- Information from your Use of the Service: We may get information about how and when you use the Services. This information may include your IP address, time, date, browser used, and actions taken by you within the application.
- Cookies: When you visit this website, we store “cookies,” which are strings of code, on your computer. We use those cookies to collect information about when you visit our Website, when you use the Services, your browser type and version, your operating system, and other similar information. You may turn off cookies that have been placed on your computer by following the instructions on your browser, but if you block our cookies, it may be more difficult (and maybe even impossible) to use the Services. When you play one of the videos on the Websites, the Flash player may use local shared objects, which are also called Flash cookies. We don’t use these Flash cookies for anything, but we can’t stop the player from dropping them (we tried).
6. Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may use and disclose your Personal Information only as follows:
- To promote use of our Services. For example, if you leave your Personal Information when you visit our Website and don’t sign up for any of the Services, we may send you an email asking whether you want to sign up. And if you use any of our Services, and we think you might benefit from using another Service we offer, we may send you an email telling you about it.
- To bill and collect money owed to us. This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, notices of delinquency, and alerting you if we need a different credit card number. We use third parties for secure credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and credit card payments. To learn more about the steps we take to safeguard that data, see Section 7 below.
- To provide customer support.
- To protect the rights and safety of our Members and third parties, as well as our own.
- To meet legal requirements like complying with court orders and valid subpoenas.
- To support and improve the Services we offer. This includes adding features that compare Members’ Email Campaigns, or using data to suggest other publishers your subscribers may be interested in.
- To communicate with you about your account for informational, not promotional, reasons.
- To send you informational and promotional content that you may choose (or “opt in”) to receive. You can stop receiving our promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in every email.
7. Public Information and Third Parties
- Blog. We have public blogs on our Websites. Any information you include in a comment on our blog may be read, collected, and used by anyone. If your Personal Information appears on our blogs and you’d like it to be removed, contact us here. If we’re not able to remove your information, we’ll let you know why.
- Social Media Widgets. Our Websites include social media features, like the Facebook Like button. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you’re visiting on our site, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our site. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
- Service Providers. If it is necessary to provide you a service you’ve requested, like send you a T-shirt or enable a feature like Social Profiles, then we may provide your personal information to a service provider. We will restrict any service provider’s use of your personal information. We will tell you whenever reasonably possible and you may request at any time the name of our service providers.
8. Notice of Breach of Security
Nobody’s safe from hackers. If a security breach causes an unauthorized intrusion into our system that materially affects you, then we will notify you as soon as possible and later report the action we took in response.
Updated May 25, 2017